The Minnesota Twins Franchise was established in 1901 and has been based in Minnesota since 1961. The franchise originated in Kansas City, Missouri in 1894 and then moved to Washington, D.C. in 1901 when the American League was formed. The ballclub played in D.C. through the 1960 season and then moved to Minnesota.
In Washington D.C. from 1901 to 1960, the franchise was known by two nicknames, the Nationals and the Senators. During 1905 to 1906 the team actually wore "Nationals" on their jerseys. Otherwise, the jeriiseys either read "Washington" or carried a plain block "W". Newspaper articles for decades used the names "Senators" and "Nationals" (or "Nats") interchangeably. By the 1950s, "Nationals" was pretty much passé. In 1959 the word "Senators" finally appeared on their shirts. They and their expansion-replacement in 1961 would remain officially the "Senators", although space-saving headline writers would often refer to them as the "Nats.”